Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Ghosts That Sell Memories



Here is one of my favorite Tom Waits songs: Tom Traubert's Blues (Four Sheets To The Wind In Copenhagen)- aka Waltzing Mathilda off of his 4th album: "Small Change"


This is Mr. Waits in his jazz/blues/crooner prime just before he re-invented himself in what I call the "Rain Dogs" period. If you are interested, I believe Tom has three distinct periods of his musical career:

1973 - 1980 (Mainly blues/jazz/bebop - piano and guitar)
1980 - 1992 (A new Tom Waits with a heavier sound and moodier music - dabbling into new instruments such as pots and pans for drums)
1992 - Present (The current Tom Waits, an older/wiser musician who does modern folk songs driven by non-traditional sounds)

This song is 30 years old and still just as meaningful and affecting as I'm sure it was when it first came out. This was played on live TV back in March of 1977, months before I was born. I tell you, I was born in the wrong decade....

Funny aside: The first time my Dad heard Tom Waits, he thought it was Red Foxx singing blues songs hahahahahaha! After he said that, I had to agree, it sounded very similar.

No comments: